Saturday, March 17, 2018

The More You Know: The word 'Printing' as it relates to guns.

Apparently a few people don't understand what it means to say to someone, who is carrying a concealed weapon that they are 'printing'. Printing is the term used to tell someone that you can see the outline of their firearm or the holster for their firearm, under their clothing.

The gun is 'printing' an outline that shows on the shirt/pants/jacket/whatever. So no, it's not supposed to be 'pointing' or some other word. I understand that a lot of people may not understand this term, as they're probably not up on certain aspects of carrying a concealed weapon. So I figured I'd mention it here, as I have been getting some 'comments' as it were, via Amazon.

8 comments:

  1. Actually that's really useful. I live in Australia, we just don't have the same gun culture as the U.S. and I certainly didn't know what that term meant in that context. I probably would have always wondered if it was a typo or some sort of analogy I just didn't get. - Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from the US (and growing up in a fairly rural area where firearms are about as unusual as, say, shovels or hammers) I was a little surprised that there are people who are *not* familiar with the term.

    Yes, "You're printing" means approximately "I can tell you've got a concealed weapon" - generally, because the clothing over it is hanging oddly or the some of the shape of the weapon underneath can be made out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason it is an issue is that even in some very gun-friendly states -- if its printing its not considered concealed anymore. One reason many pushed for open carry (same license required) in Texas. Now if it prints you are still legal as long as it is worn consistent with the open carry law. Belt or shoulder rig, mainly. So you wear a jacket and you can conceal it or not and be legal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish they would do that in Florida

      Delete
  4. How is the 7th book of the valens series coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly at the moment. Because it's the start of the next arc, I've had to work a few things out. Hoping to have the majority of it done next week.

      Delete
  5. Im curious what your sales breakdown by country is. I suspect only a moderate %ge of your NA readership would know printing as a colloquial term referencing firearms.

    As an Aussie id have infered it to mean vpl "visible panty line"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 85 percent of my sales are US and Canada. 14 percent is split between the UK and Australia. Honestly I guess I'm just a victim of my own culture, I thought it was a term most folks had picked up by now from other popular fiction.

      Delete

No harassment, no attacks, please.
Also, no spammers.