Thursday, September 3, 2020

I think I'm Done with Social Media

I dumped facebook today. I'll probably still post any announcements that I got there. But it's no guarantee.

So if you want to be sure and not miss any releases, either start watching my blogs or get on my mailing list.

This has been a rough year for me. There were a number of family issues and other problems. I couldn't write for most of the year (I was either too busy, too stressed, or just didn't care). I've got half a dozen abandoned novels sitting on my computer that probably will never be finished. The new story was only supposed to be an 8K word short, and now it's 2 books 130k or so and there's more to come. In fact if I can start giving a damn again, I may start writing it today. 

I don't like getting driveby reviews from people who are just trying to hurt my sales because they feel taking me down builds them up. I've been getting that shit for years now, but it's finally starting to annoy me. Yeah, sometimes I bitch about stuff. It's only natural. But when people start piling on, I realized that it's time for me to go.

So I think I'm done with social media. It's not helping me, it's just bringing me down. Maybe I'll update my patreon to put up a weekly chat session or something for all of my patreons, if people still want to reach out.

14 comments:

  1. Probably a good idea, the internet is just a VERY toxic place right now. As long as you just post your new book in the haremlit groups, that'll be enough =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dumped Facebook almost two years ago and I haven't missed it. People tend to be right assholes when they are hidden behind a keyboard. You are a great author and I can't wait to read whatever you put out next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep faith man. They're plenty of people that love your content.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the end, you must do whats best for you. I love your stories and always look forward to your next release.

    As my favorite tshirt reads, "books are like people, only interesting."

    ReplyDelete
  5. no matter where you go you are going to run into the statistical truth. 1/3 of the people don't like you. 1/3 of the people don't care and 1/3 like you. If you let the 1/3 get to you then they win. Fuck em. Only way to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Facebook has been a festering cesspit for at least a decade. When you cant even post completely innocent comments in a public group without getting dogpiled by people making it into a political issue its time to leave. Never mind the partisan way FB seems to enforce its own rules.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure who is shooting you down but the valens legacy is one of my favorites. Ive listed to it many times and still injoy it. Just read dans inferno and waiting for more.
    Thanks for good books

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear about your frustrations but I gave up on social media years ago. As others have said it has become a cesspit with variably enforced rules. Better to run a blog or Patreon with a direct connection to readers, especially the ones who care enough about your work to reach out to you and say informed.

    Hope life gets better for your man and looking forward to your next release.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny I was only keeping Facebook around for your fan group. I guess if you're leaving, I am too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to continue to try and post to the fan group about once a week.
      Maybe once all the election is over things will change.

      Delete
  11. Personally I have a Facebook account for one reason. You can't search and view anything on Facebook without having an active account. Other than that, I completely understand the desire to not participate in the groups that exist on that site.

    I also agree with McLovin that the internet is extremely toxic at the moment. Not saying it will get any better, but it is hard to imagine it getting worse at this point.

    In the end, all I can say is that I really enjoy your books and look forward to reading more in the future whenever you get back into the groove and (hopefully) start liking it more again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've put books out more regularly this year than many authors, so I'd this is your version of a "slump", you're doing just fine. Do what yippy need to do to take care of yourself. I really enjoy your books and will still be here when the next one comes out, whenever that is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hated Facebook since it started. Myspace was user made pages. Facebook is generated by others. I eventually made an account and it was only to have a way to contact others from My past. That's it. I log in about every 6-8 months to check messages....and that's it. I've been doing that for the last 15 years?...I think that's about how long I have been on FB...

    ReplyDelete