Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Signed with Podium Publishing today (audiobooks)

I was quite surprised last week, when Podium Publishing, a leading audiobook producer and publisher contacted me. Podium is one of the 'big boys' in the audiobook world. The Martian is perhaps one of their better known audio works out there.

I had been in the process of looking for someone to do the Valens Legacy series as an audiobook, and I had even reached out to a couple of smaller houses that seemed to have a good product when out of the blue Podium contacted me. Yesterday we had a meeting to discuss everything, I'm familiar with the audiobook market and understand it a lot better now than I did even just six months ago.

They answered all of my concerns, and because they're a publishing company, they can do things that I can't, when it comes to dealing with Audible and ACX. Also, I don't have to deal with any of the many things producing an audiobook requires. Trust me, even if you go with most of the small studios out there, there is still a lot of work you have to do.

All I have to do with Podium is just hand them the manuscript. That's it. If there's anything that takes a special pronunciation, they'll ask me about it. But beyond that? Nothing. I don't have to audition people, chase after people, find time to listen to studio cuts and approve them, commission new cover work. None of that.

Most importantly of all: I don't have to do any marketing.

So, yeah, I'm a bit excited by this, and happy that I don't have to get involved with any of it. Just hand it over, and go back to working on the next book. The people I've talked to about them all liked them a lot. I have no idea how long it will be, before the books start showing up in audio. I'm sure we'll have that discussion once I pass over the manuscripts for the first three books.

I also like the fact that these people are very much on the ball. Correspondence is answered almost immediately. I don't have to wonder if they got it, what's going on, and when they'll get back to me. As a former manager and consultant working in tight deadline industries, nothing drives me crazier than sending an email to someone, and not hearing back for a month, when it's business related.

So yeah, excited that I've come to the attention of one of the big boys, and kind of interested to see where this goes. Now I just have to find the time to publish the trade paperback versions.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations, hope every thing works out with the audio books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats can't wait to buy them in audio ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same, looking forward to listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Do you get to choose your narrator? What kind of marketing do they do for you? Marketing audiobooks is tough...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They handle all of the marketing. Leland King is I believe the man doing the narration. It's supposed to go up on the 6th of March and should be up for pre-order any day now. Once it is, I'll make a post about it.

      Delete

No harassment, no attacks, please.
Also, no spammers.